Nitrous Oxide Sedation in Gilbert, AZ
One of the types of dental sedation options we offer our patients in Gilbert, AZ, includes nitrous oxide inhalation sedation. There are many different names for this kind of dental sedation, such as laughing gas, nitrous oxide, happy gas, or N2O-O2. It’s the most common type of sedation dentistry technique, and is best used for patients who may suffer from a moderate fear or anxiety of dentistry. If you’re going to have a dental procedure done at Cooper Family Dentistry, such as a dental implant procedure, root canals, or cosmetic dentistry procedures, take a moment to learn why nitrous oxide sedation may be right for you.
How does Nitrous oxide work?
Nitrous oxide (or N2O) is a colorless, odorless gas which you can breathe in once it’s mixed with oxygen. Using a regulator, your dentist can measure the nitrous oxide precisely to ensure you receive the right concentration. The nitrous oxide will be administered via a hose, which leads directly to the mask over your nose. The mask allows you to breathe it in, but also prevents our dentist from breathing any excess gas. All you need to do is breathe through your nose, and the nitrous oxide will begin to work!
Once you start to breathe in nitrous oxide, it will reduce your dental pain, as well as make you feel tingly. Most people begin to feel light headed while the feeling spreads throughout your whole body. Some people have reported that their arms and legs feel heavier and that the sensation is like having a few drinks. The reason nitrous oxide is called laughing gas is that many people react to the gas by giggling or laughing—which is completely fine!
Overall, nitrous oxide should help you feel at ease and comfortable, making the dental process easier for you to go through. Once you take off the mask, the effects of the nitrous oxide will wear off quickly. This is the only form of sedation dentistry where you may be able to drive home afterwards, but it’s important to see how you feel before driving yourself.
It’s also important to note that you may need a local anesthetic, depending on what type of procedure is being done. This will numb the area where your dentist is doing work in your mouth, and will help to ease or eliminate any discomfort.
Benefits of Nitrous Oxide
- It works very quickly! You should feel the effects in as little as 2 minutes, as it reaches your brain in about 20 seconds.
- It’s very easy for your dentist to accurately control the level of sedation.
- The effects leave your body within a few minutes, once you take the mask off, allowing most people to drive back home, or to work, safely.
- Using nitrous oxide is very safe—you won’t suffer any ill effects, and it doesn’t negatively impact your brain, lungs, liver, or other organs.
If you suffer from anxiety towards dental procedures or have a phobia, please speak to our warm, understanding sedation dentists in Gilbert to discuss how they can use nitrous oxide for your next dental procedure. We look forward to hearing from you!
Contact Cooper Family Dentistry in Gilbert, AZ to schedule an appointment today!
Why Choose Us
- Comfortable, State-Of-The-Art Office.
- We Provide The Newest And Most Advanced Dental Technology To Take Care Of The Dental Needs For Your Whole Family.
- Dental Care with Compassion and Integrity
- Available On Saturday.